06 September 2006

Lubricant: Yes! Eye drops: No!

Just read this on Neil Gaiman's Blog:

I have just read the TSA list of permitted and prohibited items in full.

Toothpaste is out.
Hairgel is out.
"Topical or rash creams" are out.
Lip gels are out.
Shampoos and conditioners are out.
Personal lubricants are... just fine.

I blink. I find I'm suddenly unsure whether or not that means exactly what I'm certain it does mean, so I google "personal lubricants" and yes, it's talking about exactly what I think it's talking about. Up to 4 oz. of personal lubricants are just fine.... practically the only liquid you can take with you onto a plane.
Like him i could not believe it, so i went and checked, and it's true. I think they're making fun of us, they must be, i'm not taking my contact lenses on to the flight because i fear an eye emergency and no eye drops to help me, simultaneously i have mixed feelings about putting my lenses in my luggage (they're highly expensive, and i just can't live without them), so i'm actually considering carrying them with me with no liquid (during the relatively small flight, how safe can that be to the contacts i wonder?).

5 comments:

  1. That is so totally fucking insane.... And I would argue contact liquids are personal lubricants as well - well the artificial tear drops is absolutely totally it. but wtf about lubricants?!? and 4 ounces? What do they think people are going to do in airplanes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad idea, bad idea.
    Don't forget, it's not just the two hour flight, it's the hours after check-in, and the hour after landing. Contacts dry pretty quickly (mine once almost dried in a 40 minute concert), so...
    I'll use mine, but the liquid goes in the hold luggage.

    And WTF on personal lubricants? :s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/9/06 14:32

    Yes, you're on to it. They are making fun of all of us. Check the numbers for the War on Terrorism: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/scorecard_from_1.html

    Prosecussions for terrorism are below the numbers before 9/11 and the median sentence is: 28 days. The median before 9/11 was 40 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sem comentários! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/9/06 00:21

    teresa, I think everything becomes clear when they allow working vibrators to board: http://www.zug.com/gab/index.cgi?func=view_thread&thread_id=68619.

    ReplyDelete